View Single Post
Old 08-28-15, 12:50 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
It's interesting how much shifting motions just become muscle memory. I shift without consciously thinking about which finger to move. And steering is the same way. Bikes have a learning curve.

For the rear derailleur, my Campagnolo 10 speed shifters have a thumb button to go smaller cog, and one paddle to go bigger cog. So when I first rode my Di2 bike, I was waving my thumb in the air next to the shifter for a smaller cog, or pressing the wider bottom shifter paddle for a larger cog shift. Neither was correct, of course.

After a couple of rides, it was all automatic. And now I can switch between bikes and pretty much instantly convert to that bike's methods.

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Following the marketing blitz with interest.

Shifting front and rear more or less together is doable according to one first-ride reviewer, you press both paddles to shift the front then let off one paddle which shifts the rear.

One comment many first-ride reviewers make is that the shift speed feels slower than di2 or mechanical. I keep waiting for a reviewer to point out what seems like the obvious reason for this. Since pressing both paddles at once shifts the front, a very fast response speed to pressing a single paddle would lead to unintentional shifts if you mean to press both paddles at once but instead press one very slightly before the other.

In any case I hope the system turns out to be great, options and innovation are always good.
We'll have to see user reports of the Sram shifters in use. This makes sense, I wonder how many milliseconds it waits on a back shift to see if the front is going to be pressed too. Or I suppose it could start shifting the rear immediately, then shift back to the original cog if the front gets shifted instead. It probably wouldn't be noticeable to the rider.