View Single Post
Old 08-29-15, 04:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Jim, Do you normally ride sewups for commuting? Do you think they are more, less or equally prone to flats on MetroBoston roads? Do you carry a foldup spare and glue or just inflate enough to hold it on and avoid powering through turns? What pressure do you run your sewups when commuting?

Originally Posted by jimmuller
…I've ridden sew-ups for commuting more than I ought to! It's really the choice of which bike...One reason (I rationalize) for commuting on sew-ups is the speed of fixing a flat on the road. When I really don't want to be late for some meeting at work, I'll rationalize like that. The only down side is the time and aggravation it takes to fix one, and eventually the cost of replacing one.

I don't think sew-ups are especially prone to flats…

Then one commute I got 4 flats which was a wake-up call to replace them.

I carry two spares, both already glued up and folded. Of course the glue is a contact cement (as you know) so it adheres to the rim quite well even after it is dry.…As for pressure, I like all my tires, sew-up or clincher, pumped up...

Some people in the C&V would say I'm crazy. Others swear by sew-ups and high pressure. Me? I just like how they feel.
JfB in reply. Back in 1972, my then-girlfriend-now–wife and I bought matching Merciers, for touring, because we wanted “really nice bikes," and they had sew-up rims. We did several fully loaded tours in Michigan and Ontario without many problems. For our fully loaded, self-supported cross-country honeymoon in 1977 from LA to DC, we started out with six additional tires, and had an inordinate number of flats, maybe overall about one every three days, especially out West.

Usually, the next flat occured just after the sticky glue/black grease had finally abraded off my hands. Often the evening's intended relaxation was replaced by tediously repairing the tubes. At three times en route we had to leave the bikes in a motel, and hitchhike to a city to buy more (Flagstaff, AZ, Pueblo, CO, and I think one more in Ohio), further deleting rest days. We did arrive within schedule, but as soon as we got to Boston, we got clincher rims. My current high end CF bike rides so well, I can’t imagine it could get that much better with sew-ups. FWIW

Originally Posted by jimmuller
This morning's tire adventure:

I had repaired that tire once before, and I'm thinking that with that cut it should be retired. (Get it? Re-tired? )

One pic from the return commute. In Woburn Center a statue of one of Woburn's famous native-born sons, Benjamin Thompson, Count Rumford.

I ride by his statue every day. BF member Jim_from_Boston called him to my attention last year. Though I had seen the statue and wondered who it was I always took it for granted. Where I grew up we had statues everywhere, mostly historical, certainly not scientific.
I recall that memorable ride in an attempt to follow your famous commute. I posted about BT:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I asked for directions for Lexington St at an auto repair shop. The guy said to go back to the Center, then pass the Courthouse, and take a right at the next light…”You know where the Courthouse is, don’t you?”…”Yes” (figuring it was in the center of town). Well it was just slightly off-center, but I see why the mechanic considered it a notable landmark (photo below).

As I was riding off, I noticed a statue of Benjamin Thompson / Count Rumford [in front of the Courthouse], and I wondered why is he so honored in Woburn? I confirmed my recollection of who he was, and learned he was born in Woburn:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Sir Benjamin Thompson, Count Rumford,,,,March 26, 1753 – August 21, 1814) was an American-born British physicist and inventor whose challenges to established physical theory were part of the 19th century revolution in thermodynamics. He also served as a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Loyalist forces in America during the American Revolutionary War. After the end of the war he moved to London where his administrative talents were recognized when he was appointed a full Colonel, and in 1784 received a knighthood from King George III…

The birthplace of Benjamin Thompson is now owned by the Rumford Historical Association, founded in 1877 to maintain it as a site of historic interest. In its museum are reconstructed models of Count Rumford's scientific experiments and inventions. A copy of a portrait of Count Rumford by Gainsborough is on display. The house also has a library of Rumford biographies and essays. It is open weekend afternoons 1 - 4:30PM. Admission is free.