velorinka

Bikes: 1979 Schwinn Varsity jalopy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chicago Schwinn To Commuter/City. Spec Help

Hello esteemed bike people,

So I have this rhino of a bike—1979 Schwinn Varsity—which I received fully tuned-up and had been enjoying riding around, until some doofus maloofus stole both my wheels

(wheels=gone-zo)

The general opinion has been to cut my losses, donate the rest to recycle-a-cycle, and hit up craigslist for a whole new rig. But I was just getting all comfy with the Varsity...I'm attached

Given these facts about my riding style:
- I ride super slow
- Never encounter hills
- Will be leaving the bike in the street (maybe investing in a cable lock for the wheels this time)

Maybe this is not the worst bike for me...? Have been happy with it so far.

So here's what I'm thinking and where I would love some input:
It's a dainty little 17" frame, and came with the Schwinn S-6 steel rims (now stolen). I learned on here, that the closest modern equivalent is the 26 x 1 3/8 rim, but they seem pesky to track down and are more common in steel. Soooo, what if I slapped some wider 26 x 1.5 alloy rims on there? They seem more readily available in an alloy with a 5/6/7 speed freewheel hub.
I did consider sticking 27 x 1 1/4 rims on, but I feel like my toe will catch them, and the 26s on before felt pretty good. The wider wheels might be a good fit for all the potholes and junk in the city.
The narrowest part of the fork is 60mm. Will a not too knobbly ("city" style) tire fit in there?

Anyone tried wider wheels on any of the old bikes?

As a newb I have so many questions...will hit up the LBS on Mon, but wanted to hear some opinions.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20150826_003.jpg (99.3 KB, 28 views)