View Single Post
Old 08-30-15, 01:17 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have used both the Open Pro from Mavic and the A23 from Velocity until brake tracks wore through and neither ended up with any cracking around the spoke bed. I also weigh almost the same as you and spend a lot of time climbing, even spending a lot of time on dirt roads and mountain bike trails.

I would say the wheels were likely built with too much spoke tension. Outside of spoke tension using a straight gauge spoke can put a little more stress on a rim so if you are not yet, it could be good to use double butted spokes on your next build.

If you have a good wheel builder near you I would ask them to double check spoke tensions and if they are 120kgf or lower and consistent I would contact Velocity and see if they would warranty the rim. I have talked with them a lot and spoke bed failures have been extremely rare on the A23. If the build was good there is a good chance they will stand behind it, they are one of the easiest companies I have dealt with in the bike industry.