View Single Post
Old 08-30-15, 03:54 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Took the Rawland Nordavinden out for a 31 mile ride through Arlington, Belmont, Lexington, Waltham, Lincoln, and Concord, with 2762' of climbing over Belmont Hill and lesser lumps...
Belmont Hill on Concord Avenue: up up up...

Down, down, down... Hit 36 mph here, technically speeding.

Continued out Concord Ave. to Spring Street Lexington/Smith Street Waltham, and bombed down Trapelo Road over the Cambridge Reservoir causeway and into Lincoln, then chugged up the hill past the Peace Barn.

Rode past the 1938 Gropius House on Baker Bridge Road, Lincoln, a little closer to the well-spring of Bauhaus inspiration that those Architects Collaborative guys were sipping from.
Very nice travelogue of routes I have been familiar with for years. It looks like Concord Ave on Belmont Hill has been paved since I last was there. I think the Peace Barn has had that symbol up since the late ‘70’s when I first started riding out there. I have never stopped at the DeCordova though. Another favorite landmark is the library in Lincoln.

Back in my home town of Detroit was a distinctive white house in a tree lined boulevard of red-brick homes that after I moved to Boston, I realized looked very much like the Gropius House. When I was back there last week we drove by, and it was sad to see the disrepair.