Bike Forums - View Single Post - Continental Touring Plus tires
View Single Post
Old 08-30-15, 07:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
It wasn't just one rim. I've had trouble with at least 3 different rim brands. The one incident where I blew out 4 tires in one day occurred on a Mavic A719 front rim and a Ritchey OCR rear rim. None of those blowouts occurred on tires that had been pumped above the recommend pressure which is 90 psi. The tires were 37mm Continental Touring Contacts with a folding bead. I didn't experience any more blowouts for the rest of the trip...this happened on the first day...but I had to run my tires at 60 to 70 psi and ride very, very, very carefully around any kind of holes in the road. I also carried 6 (six) tubes for the rest of the 2 week tour that I never used.

I've used many other folding bead tires before and since on many bikes in many different applications and widths from 23mm fast tires to 2.2" mountain bike tires on 17mm rims and never had any other brand blow off the rim unless I mounted the tires wrong. And any blowoff that happened did so during inflation not miles after the tire had been mounted.

Personally, I would use...and have used...a Bell folding tire from Helmart before I'd use a Continental.
Odd I would love to see how you do it? I use and install contis all the time and haven't had issues with blowouts on them and neither have shopmates. I am not saying you are doing something wrong but it is an odd thing. I now after having a blowout on some misized tires (it was for an old sears bike with that odd 26 x 1 3/8 590 ISO and tread specific tire and I used a different tread because they were out of the one we needed and the ISOs were the same) make sure to check the seating of the tire about 3 times while inflating just to make sure. Call it paranoia but it works.

It could have also been a bad batch of tires which happens to most any big manufacturer?