cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Odd I would love to see how you do it? I use and install contis all the time and haven't had issues with blowouts on them and neither have shopmates. I am not saying you are doing something wrong but it is an odd thing. I now after having a blowout on some misized tires (it was for an old sears bike with that odd 26 x 1 3/8 590 ISO and tread specific tire and I used a different tread because they were out of the one we needed and the ISOs were the same) make sure to check the seating of the tire about 3 times while inflating just to make sure. Call it paranoia but it works.

It could have also been a bad batch of tires which happens to most any big manufacturer?
It wasn't a bead seating issue, I assure you. I check beads all the time. The first blowout happened 3 miles from the start of my trip (but after 1200 miles and a couple of days of bouncing around in my vehicle as I traveled to the start of my trip) when I stopped at a light and did a trackstand. It blew out while I was balanced over the wheel. The second one...in the same day but on a different wheel...happened when I hit a small pothole on a east Texas road about 20 miles into my ride.. The pothole may have been 3/4" deep but the rear wheel blew out. The third one happened in the middle of the night at the campground where I was staying. And the fourth one happened after I hitched a ride back to my truck, got my bike, got tubes and repaired the blowout in a hotel room while I pondered whether or not to drive the 1200 miles back home or risk spending 2 week dealing with blowouts. I reduced my pressure to 70 psi and risked it but never had another blowout on that trip.

I would attribute it to a bad batch of tires if I had not had previous blow out experiences with Continental touring tires that didn't leave me stranded but certainly left me frustrated. After 6 blowouts...5 of which occurred far away from home...and one Continental shredding after an impact with a small rock on a downhill, I'm very soured on Continental tires. I've used all kinds of tires and all kinds of brands but never had as much trouble with a brand as I've had with the Continentals.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.