View Single Post
Old 08-31-15, 10:21 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Apocalypse Now was basically Heart of Darkness. When I said so in an essay in college (we were to watch the movie and describe it as an anti-war masterpiece), and came at it from a the perspective of a combat infantryman, my professor quite angrily threw all her anti-war leftist credentials at me, but I ducked and parried. Somehow, I found an interview with Brando in which he came at it much the same way, and she believed him, so she gave me an A.

To this day, I doubt she's even read Heart of Darkness. It may contain insights into the human condition that she prefers to avoid knowing. Then again, she was a lot smarter than I thought, so maybe she was just glad to have someone thinking outside the pre-programmed box. I imagine reading 100 essays that all say whatever the students think you want is fairly mind-numbing.
Hilarious! When I saw Apocalypse Now at the movies, I thought it was just a modern-day remake of Heart of Darkness.