Old 08-31-15, 11:14 AM
Bikegeek1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MulliganAl
Well, I was working on my new, to me, bike this weekend and started to do some investigating and realized the the previous owner mounted Schwalbe 700C 40 tires on a set of Mavic Open Sport 700 wheels where the recommended tire size is 19-32mm, is this safe?

I guess I'll be needing a new set of 32mm tires, or a set of new wheels that will accept these Schwalbe tires, any thoughts?

If I go the new wheel route I'd like a set that will accept a range of larger tires, say 32-42mm, does anyone have any thoughts on a good set of wheels in this range that will retain the classic look of the bike?

Even though it's recommended that the tires be between 19-32mm, do you think I could get away with at least going up to 35mm on these wheels? There seems be a nice selection of tires in the 35 range. I was considering the Panaracer Pasela gun wall tires which some have mentioned around here.

I know it's a lot of questions but I appreciate everyone's help.
Bontrager first came to many people's attention back in the late 80's when the cut up 36 hole MA40's and rolled them down to create 32 hole mountain bike wheels out of them. We would routinely run 2.75" and 3.25" tires at 40 psi and never had problems. As others have said, Mavic has a way of posting very conservative specs.