Old 08-31-15, 03:02 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller
Edit: The guys at Giant said they successfully fit 2.2" knobby 29er tires on it. But I'd worry about mud/rock clearance a bit.

Rode some older iterations of the Muirwoods and always felt pretty neutral to me. The Toughroad definitely seems to ride better for me. But keep in mind these are short test rides, and swayed by personal opinion before I even get on them. But specs show the Muirwoods seems to weigh 4-5 lbs more, and I'm not usually impressed with standard cromoly frames for ride quality. I'm very impressed by my extensive use of Giant's SLR grade aluminum, and the hydroforming different shapes can really give it a great blend of comfort while maintaining efficiency and great handling. I'd choose ALUXX SLR over standard butted cromoly any day of the week. Even if the weight was the same, which it's not.

Geometry wise the Toughroad has more relaxed headtube angle and seattube angle, not a bunch but could be noticeably better in rougher conditions. Very close in wheelbase and chainstay length, with the Toughroad having shorter wheelbase("quicker" handling?) but longer chainstays (pannier/heel clearance). Once again, very small differences.

Muirwoods just seems more geared for on road, straight line commuting, the Giant seems just a bit more capable of being a sporty commuter with fun capabilities on easier single track.
Double butted cromoly steel is nice - the Muirwoods is built with a mountain bike-tough frame so taking it off road isn't an issue. What comes down to it is the choice of frame material and I like alloy for the light weight and it feels fantastic. The ToughRoad can take even wider tires but unless you intend to ride in muddy conditions, I wouldn't worry about it. Few bikes can stand up to dealing with washed out dirt roads anyway.

Last edited by NormanF; 09-03-15 at 09:30 PM.