Bike Forums - View Single Post - Continental Touring Plus tires
View Single Post
Old 09-01-15, 02:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
It wasn't a bead seating issue, I assure you. I check beads all the time. The first blowout happened 3 miles from the start of my trip (but after 1200 miles and a couple of days of bouncing around in my vehicle as I traveled to the start of my trip) when I stopped at a light and did a trackstand. It blew out while I was balanced over the wheel. The second one...in the same day but on a different wheel...happened when I hit a small pothole on a east Texas road about 20 miles into my ride.. The pothole may have been 3/4" deep but the rear wheel blew out. The third one happened in the middle of the night at the campground where I was staying. And the fourth one happened after I hitched a ride back to my truck, got my bike, got tubes and repaired the blowout in a hotel room while I pondered whether or not to drive the 1200 miles back home or risk spending 2 week dealing with blowouts. I reduced my pressure to 70 psi and risked it but never had another blowout on that trip.

I would attribute it to a bad batch of tires if I had not had previous blow out experiences with Continental touring tires that didn't leave me stranded but certainly left me frustrated. After 6 blowouts...5 of which occurred far away from home...and one Continental shredding after an impact with a small rock on a downhill, I'm very soured on Continental tires. I've used all kinds of tires and all kinds of brands but never had as much trouble with a brand as I've had with the Continentals.
I guess luck just wasn't on your side. I love my contis and my shop mates are the same. I have never had any issues aside from the time I had a blow out pumping some grand prix classics on some old rims that may not have been able to handle the pressure or the tube was faulty. Though a new tube, a little less pressure and everything was fine and dandy.