Old 09-02-15, 05:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I don't think I agree with the premise. The author is looking at the top of the market where things change all the time. Right now the ur-bike at the bottom of the lineup is still a 3x7 MTB - like a Trek 820, or like most Walmart bikes for that matter. The last major change it got was V-brakes and front suspension, about 15 years ago. You might be able to argue it's not as well made as a Varsity, but for the only bike owned by the average occasional rider, it's a much better bike. It's more comfortable and easier to shift and with fat tires and a vast gear range, it can go more places. Upgrades are widely available and effective. How far up the lineup do you have to go to find 1x11 speed and clutch derailleurs? The latter appears at Deore level, the former now at XT level. When something really good comes along it does move down the lineup until it's everywhere - this happened with the MTB format supplanting 10-speeds, along with indexing, V brakes, alloy rims, and one step further up, freehubs and disks. But I don't expect to see 1x11 hydraulic-brake Alivio or Tourney any time soon.
Genesis 49:16-17