Old 09-03-15, 07:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hobbies

Originally Posted by bruce19
It's been a long time since I've used the word "hobby." I always thought of it as something you did for fun. But, curiosity got the better of me, so I looked it up. The online Merriam-Webster Dictionary had only one definition: an old English word for a small Falcon. What!? Nothing else. That can't be it. So, I used "The Google" (I will always thank GW Bush for that phrase). Ah, there it is: something done for fun or enjoyment. Took a few moments to consider..

Hmm. Well, I do read a lot and it's primarily about trying to understand life, reality, why we're here, etc. So, a strange mix of philosophy and science. And, I'm always interested in anything I can learn about "life" online. That's when I realized that my "hobby" really boils down to searching to know more about as much as I can. Today I've started by learning that a hobby is a small falcon. Cool. And, thanks.
I took a similar approach in my reply to this thread; and I have also posted to BF about my “seeking the answers to life’s persistent questions.” (from ”Guy Noir, Private Eye on NPR’s Prairie Home Companion).

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by ShortLegCyclist
Cycling isn't a hobby for me, I virtually never ride just for exercise or fun, I'm trying to by without using my cars at all…

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time...

Generally speaking, a person who engages in an activity solely for fun is called a 'hobbyist', whereas a 'professional' generally engages in an activity for reward and an 'amateur' (from French for "lover of") does so out of personal interest in an activity…
I cycle for (fun) exercise, particularly via commuting, and consider it a lifestyle