View Single Post
Old 09-03-15, 09:09 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
A rose by any other name... Depends on who I'm talking to. I'm not a "biker," because most people think Harley when they hear that. With riding friends I use the "cyclist" word, but with other folk I usually just say I'm a "bike rider." I try to avoid the "How far?" and "How often?" questions, because people who don't ride or who tool around the neighborhood (nothing wrong with that, mind you) don't really get it and they think you're either nuts or you're showing off. I just know that, like canoeing, cycling is one of those things that allows me to be a creature in a way that I just thoroughly enjoy.

One of my great regrets is that, because of recurring calf and achilles challenges, I can't run. I've always wanted to be able to put on a pair of shorts and shoes and just run for hours, just me and the road or the trail, like we used to when we were loping across the savannah thousands and thousands of years ago. Cycling and paddling are real close to that. They get me back into a humanness that today's world has stolen from me. I didn't "discover" cycling till my early 20s. I had ridden as a kid, of course, but I never rode to ride. I had a bad break up, was probably clynically depressed, and cycling saved me, kind of rewired me. I look forward to rolling along into my 80s. At least.