Old 09-03-15, 09:33 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller
Where I live it's rocky, rocky, rocky. There are very few "gravel grinder" type roads like are so popular in the midwest. When you get out on gravel around here, you're pretty much a quarter mile away, max, from huge patches of sharp rock. And it's also rarely flat for any length of time off road, you're either going up or down. Geometry has a lot to do with it. More than sheer frame material, IMO. A degree here or there can absolutely make a huge change in how it handles in rough corners, and the Giant just seems to lean towards a nice mix of off road handling, while losing a bit of the "road" geometry which goes with the Marin. Both are still blends. Both can still handle all the same stuff. But I feel I'd have a lot more confidence and fun with the Giant's set up when taking an off road shortcut.
I think upgrading in either case from the stock tires to tires more appropriate for the kind of riding you like to do will make either bike handle the way you want. I would say if you decide to get the Giant, to discuss your concerns with the bike shop and they could assist you to select more suitable tires for the demands of your area's ride.