Old 09-04-15, 04:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by argonavis
Hi,

I'd be grateful for a few opinions. I'm thinking of buying some inexpensive, yet serviceable cables & housing. The idea is to try and move towards a regimen of just swapping out components more frequently rather than buying on the higher-end and trying to make 'em last forever...

So,

1. Does anyone happen to know whether Sunlite SIS housing is lined or unlined? Does the cable actually run on the metal stands of the housing?

2. Any opinions on Sunlite slick stainless cables?

3. I'm also considering Jagwire LEX housing. Apart from the issue of whether the cable will fit the housing stops, does anyone have thoughts on the pro's and con's of 4mm versus 5mm housing?

Thank you for your time, and any thoughts you may wish to share,

Hannes.
It is extremely important that you include information about the bicycle and the components you will be installing these cables on. The very latest components with 10 and 11 speed rear derailleurs and shift cables that run under the bar tape on road bikes require very high quality cables if you want shifters to work properly. It doesn't matter how often you change them, cheap cables will not work very well. The cables on my road bikes are at least 4 years old and despite the fact that they run under the bar tape, shifting is still very precise.