Old 09-05-15, 06:51 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
..... Now my only issue, is actually retiring from work during this down market... part of me just says "dang it do it... it may never get better" and the other part says "you can wait; be patient; things may get better....
America is rich in resources. Things will certainly (sooner or later) get better. Whether or not you'll live long enough to see those better times.... is a completely different matter.

You will die. In my working career two co-workers died unexpectedly at home. Although none of my co-workers ever died at their desks... I know that does also happen. Some (MANY) people never actually "retire". Some (maybe MOST) people choose to work until illnesses or infirmities force them from the workforce. Some people leave (retire from) the workforce at the first opportunity. There is no singular correct choice.

My father worked right up till his death which included a long illness. My older brother could no longer function well enough to perform his duties and "retired" months before his demise. I opted to take an early retirement (due to cutbacks) and have enjoyed several years of pensioned retirement. We make our choices based on who we are and how we feel about what we do. It is totally a personal matter.