Old 09-06-15, 10:25 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I wouldn't just write off Medicare Advantage, you need to compare to what your company's plan provides. You do probably need to apply for and start paying for Medicare Part B from CMS at 65 (assuming you are not working in covered employment). If you are also drawing SS old age annuity it will be deducted but other wise you make out a quarterly check to CMS. I guess "full retirement age" FRA has some implications for spousal benefits, but I think for a primary beneficiary once you turn 62 the longer you wait the bigger the check until you're 70 and FRA isn't that important.

My wife and I cared for her father, and he had a fairly generous retiree medical AT FIRST. But as time went on it got less and less, until eventually they would only pay for the Medicare Advantage with our main insurer (I think it was about $30 or $40 a month plus you still have to pay Part B) Then they went bankrupt (Eastman Kodak) and that was the end of that. He never had Part D and didn't need it. I never understood exactly how part D worked, but his company always advised him he didn't need it so I took their word for it. His drugs were pretty cheap (like $9 copay for 90 days).

scott s.