Old 09-07-15, 05:53 PM
FrankEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good afternoon and happy Monday …

They are over used but there are no more suitable words to ALL that commented than ... THANK YOU.

Unless someone that replied would prefer I did not (I of course would understand and respect that), I’d like in the morning to forward the link to this discussion to the bike shop I mentioned – I’m curious if they would be interested.

The bike club I belong to has a link in the resources page to this forum with the description – “a very active Bicycle-related forum”. Again, I really did not know what I expected to achieve by my story and lament as posted ... I am rewarded by doing so.

With a big smile, I can compare the replies here to what I could expect from the varied people and cast of characters, when signing up for a group ride. It really makes for a welcome atmosphere. The thoughts, attitudes, and information shared and expressed here very much compliments experiences I have been fond of while on rides.

In any event, the comments, perspectives, insights, blunt opinions, affirmations, recommendations, encouragements, and or just the motivations to react, are valued and not taken for granted. I find it so silly of myself that something as logical and basic as my bike has me so perplexed and mentally absorbed. No resolve (of course none expected), yet reading the reactions of others adds a reality to the focus.

What I am motivated to add here are self descriptives that might give a perspective about this oddball guy (me) and the moment and lead up, prompting the post. Probably not worth you wasting the time to ready further if not truly interested.

As for the moment … I do not buy much into stuff like the rule of 3’s, however last week I had my share … by Friday I had gotten my 3rd. rejection notice on really alluring employment prospects … the funereal for the 3rd. family member in 2 months was last Thursday … Friday night the bike became the 3rd. disappointment to significantly change anticipated activates for this 3 day weekend. The bike’s purpose in part was to be a frustration release and had instead been a regular source of frustration these last 2 seasons. So, yes, Saturday was kind of my little pity party.

About the guy on the bike ... I’m 54 and single and am a bit limited in getting out much. I’m the stocky guy with glasses that might show up at a 30 or so mile C* group ride (= in my club - ave. speed 12-13 mph) on a hybrid (with a little carry bag on the rear rack), wearing a t-shirt, baggy shorts, a hip pouch, and if the weather is not too warm a melon helmet … most likely most (if not all) others there will be on a road bike. From those that don’t know me, no doubt silent groans in their mind wonder how much I will end up holding them back as the ride goes on.

While on a ride, unless some B riders unconsciously attempt to steal the ride, I keep up quite well … up hills though are not a pretty sight – down, I can only smile as all those lighter folk and their light bikes are peddling and I’m just fine with the gravity of the situation on my side or braking a bit not to pass the leader. Some perhaps find me a bit obnoxious with my impulse toward corny comments and sharing a smile and a call out of a happy day or good morning to those we pass along the way.

I used the bike fairly regularly to commute to work and various errands as well as for recreational rides. The year I managed 3000 miles, I even got in 4 metrics. Last year during the 2 weeks while visiting relative in Germany, I got in 250 miles while borrowing my cousin’s bike to get around instead of renting a car.

As is to be expected, repairs and maintenance happens. Brakes, gears, cables, peddles, seats, tires are all a part of it. Other than an issues with the chain, perhaps the most memorable incident was with 20 miles left to go on one of the metrics, the shifter for the rear gears got jammed and I finished those miles with only 2.5 gears (the up hill gear didn’t always want to engage) and a lot of encouragement from those from the club riding with me … SAG was not an option!

I tend to have my respect for bike shops despite my tales of woe – really most evidently are in it for the love of the sport because for many profits can’t be much.

The one where I got my 1st Trek 7500 (one of the last supposedly made in USA) that got stolen while I was at work (I now have a Kryptonite New Yorker Forget About It lock and chain that stayed at work), needed to close shop and soon after the guy got divorced.

The one where I got my 2010 Trek 7500 just down the street from where I worked, ended up moving a few miles away then ended up after just a bit there closing shop and that guy also getting divorced (it took a few trips to him until he got the front fork assembly right so it wouldn’t loosen up seemingly every 100 miles or so).

Smiling, anyone married want to sell me a bike?

Then there was a little shop that opened up locally. They (a young guy and his mom) were very kind and very helpful but the young gentleman as good and detail oriented as he might indeed be, in my opinion was not experienced enough yet to be on his own. When my chain failed, he taught me how to put one back together and seemed quite good at what he did. In the weeks that followed, I noticed I couldn’t get into the combination of gears that stretched the derailer the furthest. I went and asked about it, he confidently affirmed that combination should not work or need to be used. O.k. it really did not make sense but I let it pacify me, though as I rode home, I’m telling myself, well they used to work the few times I might have used it when I first got the bike. The next season, the shop had moved just a block or two down the street but I didn’t know so I went to another shop in a neighboring town. As I understand it now, the chain was put on too short. Understandably I haven’t bothered visiting at the new location.

I stuck with that next shop for most of last year. Although the young gentleman there does not impress me with his attitude, both the shop owner and he are very accommodating and helpful whenever I go there. The young guy (despite his crappy attitude) is always quick to take care of the issues and attempt to save me a few bucks when possible. It just seems they don’t always pay attention and resolve all the issues at once.

As much as I am incline to discount the car strike last year, with some of what now has been suggested here I guess it can’t be ignored as indeed a possibility involving my current issue. Either April or May last year I was cruising down a road and a car came out of the side street without fully stopping and despite me having just short of cleared the intersection, he clipped enough of my rear tire before he stopped for the bike to be jarred and me to feel the hit.

No fall or injury to me other than banging and scraping my hand somehow somewhere on the handle bar enough to draw a little blood just for effect and just before I went into a tirade about the stop sign that was there (this was right on the corner of the local police station too). Long / short, a police report just in case … no real injury … other than my rear tire out of true and rubbing against the brakes in spots, he (an occasional cyclist himself) very humbly and apologetically went on his way after making sure I could proceed on my own … I turned back to ride the 3 miles back home well aware of the effect of the brake rubbing against the wheel.

I took the bike to that shop and young guy supposedly assessed the damage, trued the wheel and I was out of there. If the young guy knew or thought enough to check the frame at all having been made aware I was hit on that back wheel … I have no idea.

Other than a shifting adjustment or peddles, etc. it wasn’t until 3 or 4 months later that the derailer had an issue and took out a few spokes that I started having various rear wheel and shifting issues (and my 3rd chain replaced in an 18 month period) for the rest of the season. Between a couple of trips to the shop, the owner and the young guy supposedly corrected the issue with the derailer and a bracket sparing me the cost of a new derailer.

Before this season started I figured I try the current shop despite being upwards of 20 miles away. It has good reputation among those I rode with and, it is not unusual to see 4 guys working on bikes at a given time (none seemingly as young as at the previous 2 places). As mentioned - a full tune up, check-up, replace the rear wheel and derailer, and I am set for the new season. I don’t know how strongly it was noted, however, I did mention the previous wheel had been struck earlier last year. If anyone knew or thought to check if the frame was bent … I don’t know.

So, the logical question arises … why don’t I just get off my plump bottom and learn at least the basics of bike repair and maintenance?

Fair question … my excuse - I have a moderate vision impairment. For all intents and purposes, I am fairly awkward with tasks involving visual acuity and, with my reading glasses I have about an 8 inch focal point. Bifocals won’t work and I am constantly switching (misplacing) between glasses. I often muse when I pick up tools one of two things happen .. .either people start running in fear of their lives, or a crowd forms for the comedy about to begin … until some steps in to do it better and faster. O.k. a bit exaggerated.

Although in my 50 years I don’t know it much any other way, all too often I find myself needing to swallow my pride from doing something on my own to ask for or rely on help. Give me a computer, some accounting software, spreadsheets, and a good account reconciliation and I am in my element (8 inches from the monitor).

Push comes to shove, yes I know how (and have done it) to reconnect a chain (with my face 8 inches from the project), switch out peddles or a seat, tighten screws, etc. … it just takes me longer and am awkward at it. When someone on a ride or myself has a flat, I am perhaps the last person you would want help from if others are around, but I am more than ready to (and have) as a situation may need.

Oh well, I’ve rambled on. But, perhaps it answers some of the questions asked, or, adds a perspective where my mind is at … if it matters. I’m just frustrated and felt the need to tell anyone that would listen.

… I did name this bike when I bought it … Vaca … short for Vaca Ti On.

Thanks again to everybody …