Old 09-08-15, 01:10 PM
TriDanny47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Looking Forward to a great Second Cycling Season (Winter)

Hi guys - 2nd forum post (maybe 3rd). I missed out almost entirely on spring/summer riding due to medical (flare up of a serious chronic disease) and personal reasons (family medical crisis at the same time).

Damn near killed me to see other cyclists out there on the roads, wishing it were me.

Been riding now for 3 past winters, decided in 2012 to add winter cycling to cross country skiing, snowshoeing so I could avoid becoming soft during winter.

In the winter, I ride my 29er hybrid with studded tires, my fat bike, and also added a cyclocross bike to the mix now. The past two winters were tough here / bitter cold and deep snow.

They claim a "Super El Niņo" will yield a very mild winter this year where I am (American Midwest).

Circumstances and time now allow me ride again - everyone is recovering nicely) - I've been getting in some decent trail/road rides but am seriously out of condition compared to where I was 5-6 months ago - I was about 5 weeks out from a triathlon when I had to quit training.

I've had some extremely memorable rides in extreme cold, snowstorms, black ice, etc - and wouldn't trade them for the world.

Invested in some great gear for the sport which makes all the difference - including battery heated underlayer, boots, gloves, coats, and goggles.

It's 90 degrees here, sunny, extremely humid, and I have roughly 3 months of "regular" riding before it's time to switch to full winter mode. But I'm determined to have the best winter season yet and be in peak condition for the same Tri in Spring 2016.

Final thought - also bought myself a pair of winter running boots with studs, got to make some use of those last winter - looking forward to that too!