View Single Post
Old 09-08-15, 03:33 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Need some fat bike advice. I just managed to get a Salsa Mukluk 3 and have already been riding but I have plans for riding in the winter. I am looking at getting a platform pedals and maybe some "grip" type straps. I am actually probably going to get some Ellum bike straps because of the adjustability. BUT, before I do any of that....What recommendations for pedals? Here's what I am considering due to the fact I have availability at good costs.
Wellgo M194 alloy
MKS DD force MTB alloy

Both would be compatible, almost everything actually, with the grip fast type straps.
Better question...Will I even be worrying about using straps or am I better to just go with reg platforms. I am assuming due to cold temps that I will be using improved boots and not a bike shoe with cleat. I ride clipless and use TIME systems and love them. But I don't think they will be viable for winter riding in Pennsylvania where our winters vary. Last new years I did a hike with my family with no snow. Weeks later I had snow as tall as me in the driveway so...the weather is crazy. If this post would work better in another section of the forums. Please let me know.

Does anyone use clip less pedals in the winter? I don't feel like springing hundreds of dollars for 45NRTH shoes or anything like that...unless I pick up some more sponsors...then I will. ha. Any answers would be appreciated.

ALSO: newly added and edited. I have a size 13 foot which limits some choices and takes up plenty of room. I also have had frostbite in the past and therefore have extremely sensitive feet. For long hours and hard hours of walking in snow, I actually invested and use Red Wings Snow Claw boots with a 2000+ thinsulate and they work great. I have tried 600 and lower thinsulate with poor results and really messed up my feet. Last winter...with careful use of good quality socks and shoes. I had not a single day of foot frost or days when they are numb within 30 minutes and take hours to thaw out. So I am hoping to keep up the good care. Which is why I am considering platform, to not limit my shoe use to only clip less. But I really enjoy the benefits (for me) of clipless pedals. Thanks again

Last edited by pamaguahiker; 09-08-15 at 03:39 PM.