Old 09-08-15, 09:39 PM
progrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving to San Jose, need to buy a roadbike

So, I'm moving from the NYC area to the bay area, living in San Jose and commuting 2.5 miles to Santa Clara. Planning on getting a road bike for the commute and for going on rides around the area. I'm a pretty seasoned rider, usually do between 100-200 miles a week, on 40-70 mile rides (mostly flat land). I think I'm leaning more towards an endurance geometry over a hardcore race geometry frame, but could possibly handle something between. I'm looking to spend something in the $1200-1500 range, though I am flexible. I'm not super worried about a 1/2 lb overall difference in weight, but definitely want parts that will take some abuse, a lot of miles, and a bike that's gonna be pretty fast, but not too uncomfortable.

Trying to decide whether to order something online, go to the local bike shop when I move (in 10 days), or try to find something on craigslist, or the likes.

I'm not sure what brands to go, what group set (shimano 105 seems like its in the range, don't know if it's worth the extra cash to get an ultegra), or what online sires or local bike stores are good bets. I will be needing the bike very quickly after I move, ideally within the first for days or week.

Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks,

Bob