View Single Post
Old 09-09-15, 05:55 PM
Tesgin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by busygizmo
I haven't ridden end to end and mainly ride around Coupeville when I visit my folks up there. The section along Crocket Lake is real nice. I would not head back to the highway from here, instead head towards Hill Rd and drop down to the water by Ebbey's Landing, it's short but one of the better views in the area. Then cross over the highway and skirt Penn Cove along Modrone and curve along Penn Cove on the other side as one of your maps shows. You have to ride a short stretch of highway here. Libby road has a short section that is nice on the West side but I prefer the eastern side. I would wander on side roads as much as possible to avoid the highway, traffic is fast and heavy at times and there aren't much in the way of views.

Langley and Coupeville are definitively the most touristy and attractive owns. Both have good coffee shops and restaurants. Freeland and Bayview have also have good facilities. Oak Harbor has more fast food and such and almost feels for suburban. It is busy there on the main highway.

If time and distance are no issue I'd head to Langley from the ferry, maybe even skirt the entire peninsula until Freeland. Cross the highway and head up the west side until Greenbank, you'll have to backtrack a little on the highway then ride the east side until you have to get on the highway. Follow your map until the turn down to Crocket Lake and then follow what I described above. Once you get to Oak Harbor I'd get east of town off the highway before heading north. I've never ridden up there or even drive on the east side so I'm not sure what it is like but I imagine if you get close to the water it should be pleasant. You'll have to get back n the highway to cross the bridge at Deception, be wary here, heavy traffic, curvy roads and a lot of gawkers.

Off the highway the roads are mostly pleasant with light traffic. Lots of hills.
Sweet. This is exactly what I was looking for. I mapped it out HERE on RWGPS. I didn't include the coastline N of Langley to Freeland, just cuz of time.

How's that look? I also adapted your instructions in the description.

Thanks a million.

Tesgin

Last edited by Tesgin; 09-09-15 at 06:11 PM.