Old 09-10-15, 10:20 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Magz
I've been checking CList for vintage, used bikes, for a few reasons.
I like old road bikes, I want to learn to work on bikes, and I would like to have one as a commuter.
I've seen a number of old (80's, 70's) Schwinns. Each time I find a new model, i do a bit of research. I've seen quite a bit about the '80's Schwinn World Sports etc.
Today, there are two different Schwinn World's listed.
I checked the bicycle catalog site and as it turns out, the Schwinn World was quite different from the Schwinn World Sport or other models. The Schwinn World was usually the entry or lowest level bike (high tensile vs chromo 430).
My question - Is the Schwinn World worth the $ time and effort?
One is a 1985 (Black) all original well maintained, nice looking,
listed at $150. The other (Red), I don't know the year appears to be in very nice condition and is listed at $140.
Any tips, or helpful hints or information would be greatly appreciated.
As you discovered, there is considerable difference between the "World" and the "World Sport." The World was one of Schwinn's cheapest bikes, similar to the Caliente. Often they did not even bother to include the specs of the World on the catalog spec sheets. No one should really be paying more than $50-75 for these.

The World Sport, OTOH, was a better bike and the later 1980s models are worthwhile. They came with partial 4130 chromoly frames, forged rear dropouts with integral derailer hanger, mostly/full alloy components and wheels. $100-125 is a fair price range for these. Maybe $150 if it's in really great shape and you're in a hot market.