Thread: Schwinn World
View Single Post
Old 09-10-15, 12:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,497 Times in 4,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Magz
Thank-you all for the great information.
I have a very basic question (still learning) how can I tell, if the bars, seatpost and stem are alloy? What is the alternative? I know that CF is an alternative on newer bikes but what am i avoiding on these old bikes. Aluminum?
A magnet will tell you if something is aluminum or steel. it wont stick to aluminum.
The bike would have come with steel everything. If its all original- its a terrible deal as itll be heavy, dull, and expensive to overhaul and/or update.
If updating has been done thru the years and those steel parts have been replaced with al alloy, its still an expensive option but it is at least closer to worth the asking price.

To specifically answer your question- look for aluminum rims, seatpost, stem, and handlebars. That will make a lighter bike and will typically mean its a bike from higher up in a brand's line.
Alloy chainrings(the things up front connected to the crank and pedals) are also a general sign of a higher end bike since they usually came on mid-range and up bikes.