Old 09-11-15, 11:15 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Here's a totally unhelpful answer. If you can maintain 30 mph for a 50-mile ride, I'd say you're fast. "Fast" starts somewhere south of that, but if you are there, you're definitely fast.
Originally Posted by caloso
That's faster than Jacques Anquetil's hour attempt, and for signifcantly longer. So it's not just fast, it's superhuman. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_record
It depends on whether it is flat, hilly, solo, a group effort, or motor paced. Also whether it is a standard upright bike with no faring, or a fully enclosed recumbent velomobile.

The fastest TDF stage was 194.5 km at 50.4 kph, or 31.3 MPH. Of course, it wasn't a solo ride.

Armstrong, however, had the fastest overall TDF finish at 41.6 kph, or 25.9 mph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_d...and_statistics

The Badley Wiggins Hour record is at 54.5 kph, or 33.88 mph. Perhaps he would be able to do 50 miles at a slightly slower pace.

The current velomobile hour record is 56.89 miles, or 91.55 km.

Records-Land - World Human Powered Vehicle Association

Anyway, perhaps considering international world records doesn't represent "normal" riding paces.

====================================================

As for me, I'm probably happiest plodding along at 10 to 15 MPH.

On the low end, I occasionally get passed. When I hit 15 to 20 MPH, it is rare that I get passed.

I've been "slow" most of my life. I've finally signed up for Strava, and am working on my goal of being able to maintain 20 MPH (for now, 10 miles, but hopefully to 20 miles RT, no drafting). The course I've chosen is relatively flat, with a gentle hill climb to the halfway point (230 feet in 5 miles, mostly in the last 1.5 miles to the midpoint turnaround of the 11 mile RT). Now up to 19.0 MPH for that 11.5 miles, and it is TOUGH for me. Also hitting some of the leaderbords on short flat STRAVA segments.