Old 09-12-15, 03:23 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
"If you cant maintain 12 mph (20 km/h), you will be helped back to the park, but probably shouldn't come out to the group ride until you can."

So me, a cyclist who has done 1200K randonnees, would be "helped back to the park" with the suggestion that I really shouldn't even be there.
So as an "expert cyclist" doing 1200K rides, you should join the Expert Groups, right?

AND EVERYONE SHOULD BE RIDING YOUR PACE?

I am also a slow rider.
But, did manage to squeeze in a 180 mile ride in a day (loaded), at about 11 MPH.

I can do quite a bit better on a shorter ride, especially if I'm motivated to put the hammer down (late for an appointment). I've finally gotten to 19 mph average for 10+ miles, RT, no draft, but that is pushing it.

Anyway, for the first group, I'd probably choose somewhere between the medium and advanced group. Probably the medium as I hate to inconvenience others. The guidelines give me something to expect.

Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
Medium Level : If you can do 20 miles pretty easily at a moderate pace (13 to 15+ mph).

Advanced Level : If you can do 20++ miles easily at a 15+ pace and / or handle various challenges as rain, night riding, or other odd cycling situations.
The second set seems to have stronger, faster groups. Poking around town, I find myself often in the 12-14 MPH range for a 40-60 mile afternoon... so maybe the beginners group.

But, I'd take a group ride as a bit of a challenge... unless I just want to smell the roses.

I'd probably choose the 14-16 MPH group to start out with, and see how it went. If I got dropped, I can find my way back home by myself, tail between the legs. The 16/18B group would also be worth considering.

Anyway, perhaps they could be more PC with the language but I find it to be clear and concise.

Originally Posted by Mindcrime
No Drop group - Typically 12-14 MPH over either 25 or 40 mile route. If you cant maintain 12 mph, you will be helped back to the park, but probably shouldn't come out to the group ride until you can. (I started here, after riding solo for about 6 months, loosing weight and getting stronger.)

14-16 MPH - 40 miles (rode with this group for about 6 months, till early this year.)

16-18 B - true average, 40-60 miles (I usually ride here... clyde, have weight to loose, but pretty strong at this point.)

16-18 A - Liars club. Anywhere from 18-21, usually 40-60 miles (I sometimes ride here when feeling feisty. Its tough and a bit competitive.)

18-20 - This is where the junior race team rides, fast weekenders (I'm going to try this soon just to see if I can hack it.)

20-22 - Serious amateurs looking to ride with the big boys, race team guys who are in need of a steady state ride

22+ - Mostly race team, quite competitive even though its not a race

Theres your benchmarks.