View Single Post
Old 09-13-15, 12:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 1,077 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Wow. Somebody ate his Grumpies recently.

Just because some of us don't agree that disc brakes are like night and day like you seem to feel they are, doesn't make us fools or liars. Those are strong words, got anything to back them up? I've used cantilever brakes and linear brakes for far more cold, wet, snow, ice, mud, sand, stream crossing, fast wet downhills on-road and off- for many more years than I've used discs. I tour on a bike with cantilevers. I have mountain biked with cantilevers. I've done 50 mph downhills off the Smoke Mountains with a touring load in a driving rain and stopped just fine, in fact better than "just fine", thank you very much. I stopped when and where I needed to and no hub mounted disc could have performed any better.

I even had icy rides where the disc has failed to stop entirely which is not something I've every experienced with rim brakes.

I am fully capable of assessing whether or not brakes work not only sufficiently but exactly the same as any other brake and, again, I find no difference between disc and hubs in effectiveness nor, for the matter, in cleanliness. While a minuscule amount of the crap that is thrown onto your bike during wet rides comes from the brakes, most of it comes from the road and not brake is going to keep your bike clean in wet weather.

And if you have to "reset your brakes after a wheel removal" you are doing something wrong. Another newsflash, disc pads need to be adjustment for wear just as well.

Frankly, I'm not sure that there are a whole lot of people impressed by your definition of "superior".
You're just not a serious person, so you'll just have to find some other fool to have an absurd argument with.