View Single Post
Old 09-15-15, 10:48 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
We take off en masse (by Kila standards anyways)
Lining up for the start by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The pace is easy as we head out of town and up into the hills. Gravel soon replaces pavement as we begin the ling climb up the mountain. Walt (on the left) and Chris (on the right) pass me on their fixed gears very suitably matched.Both are strong riders. Wes, works up at Big Mountain Ski Resort is accustomed to riding away from everyone while smoking a cigarette but Chris is no slouch either. He had just finished the Raid Pyriannee a few weeks ago, riding it solo. They glided by me effortlessly.
Walt and Chris by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

We were told before the start that we were in for a surprise when we reach our lunch stop. Instead of dining in a meadow beside the forest service road, we were told to ride down a gated road that split off the route. It was more of a jeep trail actually. About a 1/2 mile or so later we could hear the river tumbling over in a waterfall. The trees opened up in this spot at the foot of the falls there was our Pranza (lunch) spread out underneath a canopy. New this year, it was a catered gourmet spread of meats, cheeses, bread, fruit, beer and wine.
Pranza spread by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Pranza still life by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I parked my bike and settled in for a long lunch
My Singer rests at Praza by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

There were plenty of places to sit down and eat. Bob and Byron chose the gazebo
Bob and Byron by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

While others sat on the grass or stood admiring the falls
Pranza view by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Last edited by northbend; 01-01-21 at 05:49 PM. Reason: broken links