Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
Hot damn!

Mountain bikes are so much fun.

Random tips:
- Run much lower tire pressures than your roadie instincts say. 40 psi or so.
- To avoid washing out the front tire in loose soil, shift your weight back.
- To avoid losing traction in climbs, climb seated and spin.
- To avoid going over the bars on a steep descent, shift your weight waay back, hang your butt behind the saddle even.
- Hop obstacles when you can, go all soft-legs and soft-arms if you can't avoid hitting the obstacle
- When, not if, you fall - tuck and roll.
- Getting off and walking is no shame. Especially when about to descend what looks like a staircase of boulders. Don't know about the rest of you, but I don't bounce as well as I did 20 years ago.
- Carry plenty of water. No refill opportunities in the woods.

You're going to have lots of fun. Maybe next summer we should do a C&V MTB ride?
We should - I'd be up for that

All great advice - and it dovetails with Scott's "rules", too - right down to the proper inflation numbers.

You know, the things I like best about this bike are that I don't have the added complication of a rear suspension and it's made of aluminum by a guy who was one of the pioneers of its application as a bike frame material. It's got a suspension fork I can adjust and everything else seems to be top of or nearest the top of the line for the time. And, of course, it's sorta vintage - and I know it works reliably and smoothly from my own experience. I'm really looking forward to taking delivery in a couple weeks!

DD