Old 09-16-15, 04:41 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
good tips. I might get the trangia burner. I was looking at that, but wasn't feeling like spending $15 on something I can make for a nickel

but the canister stove idea has me intrigued. you can't modulate it at all right? unless there's a valve on the canister that controls the output, which I don't think there is. how does refilling usually work? it'd be nice to do that, instead of buying a new can every single time you run out.
Canister stoves can be regulated and when one canister runs out you just throw it away and use another, no refueling is possible. You can only buy the canisters at camping stores and stores like Walmart that have camping sections. I find the Trangia type of alcohol stove to work well if all you want to do is boil water and heat up soups and stews. The fuel is readily available at any hardware store, just look for denatured alcohol (ethanol) or at gas stations you can find Yellow HEET which is basically methanol.