View Single Post
Old 09-17-15, 08:31 AM
gemae117

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question(s) about wheel upgrade

Looking to upgrade a stock Aksium wheelset, and I was hoping to revive a post from circa 2012 for the benefit of those considering a similar purchase.

Between $500-600, three companies, all of which seem to be local, have what appear to be (somewhat) comparable and good looking wheelsets—the Boyd 2016 Rouleurs, Williams System 31, and the November Alloy Nimbus Ti with Pacenti SL23 V2 rims. As I’m still getting my feet wet in cycling knowledge, I’m not 100% certain how to distinguish properly between the three in terms of what would represent a best fit (understanding that it can be quite subjective). Boyd’s service seems to be legendary, and the upgraded 2016 Rouleurs have a slightly wider rim profile than before; the System 31, at 31mm deep and 24 wide, seems to constitute a well rounded wheel with a good cassette; and the November hubs seem to attract a great deal of praise, and the rims are both slightly lighter and slightly wider (24.5mm).

As a novice, my question: how would you all navigate this decision making process? What should be valued more highly (rim width and attendant questions about clearance, hub quality, etc.)?

Background context: I’m 5’10, around 175 lbs, and I ride around 150 miles a week (mostly flat) with the odd group ride and charity ride.

Your help and experience are much appreciated.