Thread: Your Last Fall?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-15, 11:13 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Mine was last October, 2014. I was commuting to work on the Mt Vernon MUP. I think this was the second time I was using the Pinarello for transportation. Wasn't completely comfortable on it yet. There are a number of wooden "bridges" across wet or water areas on the trail. They are not straight but have curves in them. It had rained the night before so the trail was slightly wet or moist. The asphalt sections were mostly dry. I entered the longest one, which was about mile 5.25 or so, which has a slight bend in it to the left.
Next thing I knew I was down and sliding slightly. This was a serous face plant. My cheek and eye swelled up for weeks. Some one stopped and helped me ride back to the nearest Starbucks where my wife picked me up. There was concern that I fractured my cheek bone but there is no evidence of that. There are still nerves growing back under my eye after all this time.

The bike ended up fine except for the saddle, which now has a hole on the left side where it hit. I believe this was a front end slide out. I can't believe how fast it happened. There wasn't enough time to even know something was going to happen.

I could show pictures of my face but it is ugly enough without damage.