View Single Post
Old 09-17-15, 03:28 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
On a ride at over 70 degrees F in the spring, passing through a Baltimore suburb, I saw a rider in tights and long sleeves ahead of me. I guessed that anyone with that much winter cycling clothing on on a warm morning had to be European or South American, probably a current or former pro. Up close, I saw that he was heavily tanned (check), fairly compact of build (check), and wearing expensive-looking (i.e., genuine) team clothing, including Castelli tights with a huge embroidered Castelli logo on each thigh (check and mate).

Final proof of pro status: when I passed, he glanced at me but didn't bother speeding up even the tiniest bit.
I'm from Texas, don't even start thinking about any kind of cold weather gear until it hits the low 50's. But I lived in NJ for three years and I saw the same thing you described. A lot of riders broke out the winter stuff when it's in the 60's and 70's. Even civilian clothing. I thought northerners could handle the cold. I also learned it's a myth that they can drive good in the snow.