View Single Post
Old 09-18-15, 05:23 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC
According to this link, the kayaking from the Downtown Boathouse is only between Manhattan piers, not across the river:

Free Kayaking ? The Downtown Boathouse

I have seen kayaking in the Hudson River at the north end of Battery Park City and in Hoboken, and on the East River at Powell's Cove in Queens. All of these kayakers stay close to shore; none go across the river.

But if there is shore-to-shore kayaking somewhere, I'd like to know the details about it.

A side note: one thing that has always baffled me is the act of kayaking in waters in which swimming is not allowed. A kayak must occasionally tip over. So, if kayaking is allowed, then surely the water is OK for swimming, right?
The DTBH used to do trips across the river and back on weekend mornings if the current was right. Don't know if they still do or not. Swimming in the Hudson won't kill you. Ask the people who participate in the NYC Triathlon, or other swim races.

And what used to be the Downtown Boathouse at 56th Street is now the Manhattan Community Boathouse which also offer free kayaking.

Last edited by dendawg; 09-18-15 at 06:52 PM.