Thread: Usa! Usa!
View Single Post
Old 09-19-15, 04:41 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Did you forget Phil Wood for the bottom bracket??.....
Also consider Topline for a crankset.
I thought of doing the same for one of my projects, but US components are few and far between, plus the coolest ones are so expensive.
As for Paul derialleurs, I heard that although they have all that CNC'd billet coolness, they don't work that well..... but they still cost an arm and a leg in VGC or NOS.
Some US made components can be surprisingly fugly too, which could make one reluctant to use them on builds....... Phil Wood's CHP pedals for example, looks like they were sawn off an aluminum ladder step.... Quite a contrast to their beautifully crafted BB's and hubs....almost like Phil just forced himself to come up with a pedal to fill a gap in his component group.
I thought about going to try the USA build project. It will probably be easier than most of us think:

Ultimate Listing: Mountain Bike Parts Made In America

I've got Cannondale frames, a Joe's rear derailleur, Zinn/High Sierra crank, Phil Wood BB, Thomson seatpost. This build scares me though. The price of a Joe's, Proshift, Precision, or Paul front derailleur has gotten crazy. A Boone Titanium Cassette will be expensive. The Phil Wood rear cassette hub will be expensive.

Just thinking about this build made me realize how expensive it would be. I sent my Joe's rear derailleur to Pastor Bob to get a ride report on just how bad it actually shifts. I didn't want it around tempting me into throwing money at trying to pull this off. I truly hope I never try. There are better ways to spend money than chasing a USA build.

Last edited by mtnbke; 09-19-15 at 05:12 AM.