View Single Post
Old 11-17-05, 02:22 AM
abeyance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Police are good for 1 thing.....

I got an old cinelli mtb frame on ebay with a rigid fork. I decided to make a singlesped mountain bike with it. Boy is it hard to find an italian threaded mountain bike bottom bracket. I had to call "phil". Since I was over budget anyway, I had a wierd idea. I ordered shimano whels that are spec'ed with the "police package" "mountain" bikes. The clutch on them is completely silent. No sound whatsoever, at least from what my concert damaged ears can discern. It's absolutely fabulous, riding trails downhill with only the sound of the leaves crunching. Since I didn't want to use a chain tensioner, I had to find a "magic gear ratio" with the use of a half link. the chainline isn't perfect, as I have a triple ring and a 8 speed casette, for when the chain stretches and i have to find a new magic ratio. I am somewhat concerned with the reliability of the wheels, as I did have to true them twice in 50 miles of trail riding.
Has anyone else thought of this or tried it?
And yes, I know fixed gear mountain bikes are also silent and don't have these problems, but I clipped the road with my pedals on my track bike, and don't want a repeat performance.