Old 11-17-05, 05:24 AM
motorhommmer

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, Brompton, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lolly Pop
Hi there. I posted some of this on another thread yesterday, and am re-posting because it is time-sensitive and I hope someone can help me before I go to pick up my bike in a few hours.

I am in the midst of a bar conversion that has taken far too long. I posted this at the end of the thread I started with a question about my bar-end shifters and how to mount them on my new butterfly bar. That thread started because my mechanic didn't know how to fit the thumb adapters, and spent an hour messing about. I found a solution here, went into the shop and showed him how they went on. This enabled him to get the job done. He has made a couple of mistakes besides this, which meant he has had to undo some things, fix them, and re-do them.

Now I am concerned that he might overcharge me. Here is my post outlining the work:

I should add that I dropped off the bike last Friday and the parts arrived Saturday. It was supposed to be finished on Saturday and I made a special trip to pick it up. I have since been back Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and still don't have the bike.

Saturday he hit a brick wall attaching the thumb shifters. Monday I went in and showed him how they should be oriented. I went back Tuesday and the bars were bare, to confirm that I wanted them upside-down (that is, fitted so the outside of the bars curved up instead of down). At that point -- since the bars were bare and it was timely -- I also said I'd like to add aero bars, so we fitted a short set together while I was there. Yesterday (Wednesday) I went in to pick it up, having asked him not to tape the bars until I had had some time to see how I liked the layout. I got there and the bars were taped, but without the gel pads. I re-ordered a set of Fizik bar tap and gel pads at his behest, which I hope arrive today. He is going to pay for them and fit them. Today he is going to untape the bars and apply the gel pads, and then re-tape the bars. I really hope I leave with my bike today. But I don't want to leave feeling ripped off, particularly as I am a woman and I think we get ripped off a bit more often in this area!

Bottom line: is this a two-hour job? A four hour job? A six hour job?

Bit of fair negotiation I would say. Next time do it yourself I would suggest as what you seem to have got done is a small bit of customisation and personalisation. Always costs a bit of extra time always have one/two problems which need to be resolved. These cost time and as always when the job is done looks easy.