View Single Post
Old 09-20-15, 06:12 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Back to the question of 'too much'. I say yes and here's my rationale.

There's no question Superbe Pro hubs are high quality rivaling Dura Ace and Record. If your looking to complete a Superbe Pro build I can see someone paying $200+ for a NOS set. To that person they're worth it and that's all that matters.It's the overall scarcity I have a problem with. In the future, if you need cones your screwed. Suntour didn't sell a lot of Superbe Pro hubs and they sure as heck didn't make a lot of replacement parts. Perhaps I'm a little different than other people but that's a primary reason I shy away from certain parts.

I'm a Dura Ace guy but I try not to buy Dura Ace hubs because a majority of them I come across, and Record hubs as well, need cones. Has anyone tried to source 74XX Dura Ace cones? Good luck with that.... Has anyone tried to source Record cones? Easy, easy. Heck, I have 20+ NOS rear cones and maybe 10 NOS fronts in my spare parts box. Do I have any Dura Ace cones? Nope.

I'm not saying Superbe Pro cup/cone hubs are obsolete but if you need cones for them they are obsolete. That's my issue with paying $200+.

Supply and demand? ehhh.... Only 2 people bid. If another set comes up for sale the guy who came in second is going to get one hell of a deal.