Old 09-20-15, 09:10 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by schnee
Actually having lived in the U.S. and in Sweden, I have a bit of reality rather than just speculation.

The entire culture has been dealing with the dark for almost a thousand years. Swedes have built up a number of cultural practices that ensure they don't have problems with it - from a HUGE exercise culture to frequent social gatherings to changing to candle lighting in many stores to make the dark festive and (when there's snow on the ground to reflect the light) magical. There's also the thing of highly regulated alcohol sales, which limits some possibilities of excessive behavior.

Also, I don't know where you are getting your firearm stats. Gun ownership is far less than half in Sweden, is much more regulated, much MUCH more culturally frowned upon. Contrast that with getting guns like candy in Walmart, or like me - shooting automatic weapons in the back woods before I was ten. I was constantly quizzed as to why Americans are so obsessed with guns. Sweden is much more like Switzerland than the U.S. in firearm attitudes and practices.
thanks for these informative comments, the exercise culture specifically mirrors my Canadian winter experiences, and the candle light comment makes me recall some Swedish neighbours years ago who used to put out those very lovely little pyramids made up of snowballs with a candle inside--beautiful--we have done this with the kids over the years and it really is pretty.
cheers, and the gun comments resonate with Canadians as well, with us being rather dismayed by the gun attitudes in many parts of the States compared to here....but this is a topic that tends to get folks riled up a lot, that as well as health care.