Old 09-21-15, 04:56 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I just completed my transition phase. I took one week off the bike after my "A" race (and needed it) and I took about a month in easy rides. Now the problem . . . I lost 21% of my FTP. I haven't been this weak since coming back from an injury 18 months ago. Is it possible to lose this much fitness without some kind of illness?
Absolutely.

I plan to make an appointment with my doctor this week. Blood work says everything is fine, but he wants to check for illness as a possible cause. Has anyone here seen similar drop-offs in power after a transition phase?
Yes.

I posted data from four weeks off followed by six at lower volume in http://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...l#post18182474.

Heart rates are essentially the same or higher, so it's not failing to try as hard.

Historically power around threshold increased at the same rate with one or two hard days a week, with or without tempo rides so the increases aren't limited by too little effort. OTOH, more hours below my aerobic threshold lift that a lot more.

People are different and your mileage may vary. Aerobic fitness goes faster than anaerobic so the size of the drop probably depends on how much you depend on your oxidative versus glycolytic energy systems.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-21-15 at 05:13 PM.