Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
Figured I'd post an update.........

Things are still very quiet. I've recently heard a 'tick' but not sure it's BB. I heard it on a 14% climb that was absolute murder & on my 34/25 combo I was fighting with full grit in my teeth. When I got out of the saddle I heard a tick on right pedal downstroke probably 6-7 o'clock. The faster I got, it went away so not sure it's BB. My saddle is a known 'ticker' so it could be there but lots of hard rides lately & barely enough energy to wipe the chain down & put the bike away much less chase a tick.

I also did pull the non-DS crank and confirmed that the wavy-washer preload is what gives me the less-than-free spinning cranks. There are no spacers left to remove & wavy washer's about 70% compressed which is totally acceptable to me so I'm good with it.

If I get the time I'll probably do a full cleaning of my drive train which will include regreasing cranks again, chainring bolts, contact areas, etc. to maybe chase the 'tick' and also put some light lube on the seat to see if the bike goes completely silent but nevertheless.....the creaks I had 2 weeks ago are definitely gone!
Great news. With a solid approach like you employed...Wheel Mfg PF30 BB and Loctite, a Press Fit BB can be tamed for sure as they are really quite simple. By contrast a std. PF30 with separately pressed in BB30 cartridge bearings and no Loctite is pretty sure fire to creak...if not right off within 1-2K miles and hence all the flap on the internet about PF30..and there are a lot of versions out there.
You should be good moving forward. Sounds like your PF30 cups with integrated bearings are well aligned as well which is also good news and reflective of your assembly practice of installing the crank before letting the Loctite set up. Well done.