Old 09-22-15, 11:20 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Texas Hill Country Bike Tour - Velo View Tours

Just got back from a 5-day vacation/3-day bike tour in the Texas Hill Country with the Velo View Bike Tours company. This was simply the best bike trip I've ever been on by far.

The routes were 38, 55 and 45 miles over three days with a decent amount of climbing. It was the first time I've encountered 17-20% grades before and they were much funner to go down than to go up

The whole trip was fully supported by the Velo View tour van. They picked us up in Austin, then started the ride in Blanco, rode to Luckenbach, were shuttled to a winery for lunch, then on to the ranch cabins that we called home base for the weekend. Dinner was at Hilltop Cafe outside of Fredericksburg and was outstanding.

Saturday, we did the Willow City Loop which some call the best bike ride in Texas. It was certainly in the top 3 for me. We did lunch at another nice restaurant in Fredericksburg followed by a catered dinner back at the ranch.

Sunday was riding out of the ranch back towards Johnson City for lunch at the Pecan Street Brewery, then a short ride back to Austin to finish it out.

I had a nice recovery ride in Austin Monday morning around downtown. That is such a great city for cycling. Trails and bike lanes everywhere and all very scenic. It was a great trip overall.

I've got over a 100 pics from the trip, here is a link to the ride pics and I've embedded some of better ones below:

Texas Hill Country Photos (Fredericksburg) - Velo View Bike Tours