Old 09-22-15, 11:54 AM
Skyway6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am considering the a Bionx D500 kit. Stopped by the LBS - a chain of 3 stores one of them specializing in Ebikes. For about the same price i could get a new 50cc scooter. Earlier this year i owned a 500cc motorcycle and a 150cc scooter. Decided the scooter is more practical but limited for longer distance so i sold both and got a 400cc scooter.
Now that the fall / winter is upon us here, is why i am thinking about a 50cc scooter. Most trips would be closer to home so it a pain taking the bigger bike out for that.

But some of the negatives for the 50cc. Yes up front cost is the same as Bionx. But then factor in insurance. maintenance. gas. (insurance and maintenance on 2 bikes was also a factor in me selling both and keeping the one)

Plus since lane filtering is not allowed here you are still stuck in traffic. Where on a bicycle we have excellent separated bike routes here. So for the shorter distance rides the bike is better. Sure the Bionx may be slower in top speed compared to a 50cc scooter but the bionx will flatten hills and be average speed faster than just muscle power.

My main hurdle to the ebike thing is battery. I did have a cheaper ebike kit installed on my bike a few years ago and loved it. The bad was the battery was supposed to be able to go 2000 charge cycles. But only after a few months i started to get power cut outs. Dealer did not know what the cause was until magically when out of warranty he decided a cell or 2 died and would sell me a new battery for like 700bux.

So that is main thing right now. The bionx kit costs alot and batteries are not cheap. If they only last 6 months the over all cost effectiveness would push me towards a 50cc scooter.