View Single Post
Old 09-24-15, 10:42 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BigMo59
Your probably right Dave. What I should be feeling is sympathy and I appreciate all the responses. I haven't been back on the bike since but I'm going to. I'm just going to avoid any four lane crossroads.
No. I am NOT "probably right"! You are not guilty of anything. You did nothing to feel guilty about. You are NOT responsible for the actions of others. Your misguided guilt will weight you down... and limit your horizons. Don't let guilt be your "go to" emotion. Guilt is a crippling and painful emotion. Take the time to learn what you should be feeling.... then practice discarding the false guilt.

I think most people have places and or things they may somewhat avoid on a bicycle. If avoiding the four lane crossing doesn't mess up your cycling pleasure.... why bother with it. But sometimes.... as cyclists (adults, people) we just have to buck-up and face our fears a few times... before the fear fades to shadows. I may never ENJOY the sound, and wind of a large truck passing me too closely at road speeds. But I have learned to quickly discard the uncomfortable feeling trucks sometimes give me. And I am a happier cyclist because of it.