View Single Post
Old 09-24-15, 12:56 PM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Thanks for the comments DD. I don't really have any links, but if you google cyclist neck pain and C5/C6 disc issues you'll get plenty. It turns out this is super-common and is caused by looking up for hours on end, squinching the discs of the C spine area. Mine came on suddenly but no violent cause; just an early season long ride that doubled my routine mileage. That, and ignoring the pain until it got so bad I couldn't drive and had to take 3 weeks off work. It finally made me see a neurologist when my hand started to go numb. All it needed was rest and a lot of PT, they showed me tons of good upper-back and shoulder stuff you can do to strengthen the neck core muscles and upper back. I do some weight and strength training, but like most I always ignored the upper back and neck in favor of pushups, dips, curls etc... That all strengthens the front and pulls the shoulders towards the front, which all makes a herniated C spine disc likely. Combine it with spending 4 hours or more basically looking up the entire time and you have a sure-fire recipe if you're predisposed to this injury.

I was out for a total of about 12 weeks, and all I could do for exercise was walk, even running jarred it too much. Extremely frustrating, but another reminder that late 40s aint the mid 30s. We have to really train smarter, not just ignore signs of injury and figure it'll heal on its' own. It won't.

Now I balance out my routine with upper back and neck stuff, and on breaks I squeeze the upper back muscles in an isometric to relieve the built up stress there. It really makes a world of difference, and now at the end of a ride like the one above I just have some really mild neck pain. I'm definitely increasing in slow increments though, 3 weeks glued to the couch is not something I want to do again.

Oh, and the 'Nago just loves gravel paths. Those wheels that Sugar Wheelworks built me are a dream, and are shod with the Challenge original Parigi-Roubaix's in 27 mm. I run them fairly low PSI, probably about 70 or so. It just sticks to the ground like glue that way. I have yet (fingers crossed) to pinch flat, although I hit some good roots and unseen rocks today that I was sure would leave me trailside doing a repair.

Last edited by poprad; 09-24-15 at 01:03 PM.