Old 09-25-15, 09:36 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieterDrake
Racers don't. Non-racers who would otherwise be interested in getting into the sport, if not for the uncomfortable association with pro cycling and the Tuesday night group riders who illegally take over the local roads at the expense of their co-worker's trip to their kid's soccer practice do. It's generally not worth it to them.
I can't imagine what it takes to put on Battenkill. As most know I am on the race committee for Hilltowns and will be the co-RD next year. 8 towns and 450 racers is plenty big for me and my capabilities. Costs and difficulty go up every year. Just look at Wells Ave and Bethel, two long running series that are being squeezed out of their venue by changing business. Both races run by labor of love. If money keeps them around, then bring on the money because when the love runs out, the races evaporate. That model is not sustainable.

Every year we strive to break even or be slightly in the black for Hilltowns. That is the economics of bike racing. Where the club makes real money is Bikefest, a festival of five supported rides in one day. Rides, low cost races like hill climbs and race rides like gran fondos are what pay the bills. How would one feel about being a Cat1 gran fondo state champion? Is that what people want?