Old 09-25-15, 11:52 AM
Bob Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
Just a little feedback from a potential customer..

I think we all understand that you have a business to run and have seemingly done a good job of making an extraordinarily expensive product more affordable. You seem open, honest and despite being fairly new as a company, also seem to have a good reputation. Eating the cost for a product that is out of warranty is hard to do, and in no way are you obligated to do so.

Even with that being said, you sold the wheel with a two year warranty, not a two year life expectancy. When I see a wheel with a Boyd sticker on it that delaminated from what the owner calls normal use, I see a product that wasn't properly designed or tested.

If I was the original customer and your product had failed me, I wouldn't send you more money to make it right. I would consider it an expensive lesson and warn others just like the person who posted the picture of the damaged rim.

Saying your new wheels are better and then bragging on them, IMO is in bad taste. You were able to make your new stuff better because of the money that came in from the people who took a leap of faith on your old stuff. You may be ok with your "old" wheels being disposable to some of your customers, but the early adopters who helped get you off the ground shouldn't be disposable to your company.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I may very well be in the minority here.
The wheels in question here were put into service in mid 2013. That's a tad over two years of usage. Mostly flat riding...very few hills in my area of the midwest so no "riding the brakes" involved here. No racing either. Just training miles. I also own a condo in Altadena, CA where I spend some time and train in the San Bernadino mountains. That includes Mt. Baldy, which you might have seen in the Tour of California. My So. Cal. bike has Zipps 303's in which I do ride the brakes on some of those hairy descents. 4K miles on the Zipps and still going strong. Those Zipps are long past their warranty.

I was offered the discount on a new set of Boyds but decided against it. I just didn't want to go through this again. Maybe his new wheels are new and improved. Maybe his 2012 wheels are good but I just ended up with a defective set. Who knows. There is no question about it that carbon is getting better as we move forward. My posting is to let you know that nothing is guaranteed. It's buyer beware.

Personally, when it comes to full carbon wheels, I am just going to purchase the big name products and pay the price. Less money in my pocket but less frustration to deal with. Well worth it to me.