Old 09-26-15, 05:40 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
At the risk of being accused of getting my panties in a bunch over nothing....

Originally Posted by Clang
People are just really bad at reading words. Maybe the duct tape confused them?

Another example:
Schwinn mountain bikes - $30 (Minneapolis)

Schwinn mountain bikes

mens bike...gear shift broken...$30...
....this type of ad saddens me and makes me wonder about the future of this country. What does it say about the mental prowess (or is it laziness or a deliberate attempt to mislead) of someone who can't list the correct name when it's written on LARGE letters on the side of the bike.

These are not typos or minor spelling mistakes. And the examples here are far from isolated.....see them often on my local CL. How do these people function in everyday society? Do they know what a yield or stop sign means? Do they consistently enter the wrong bathroom? What kind of job can you get if you see the word Huffy on a bike and list it as a Schwinn? And I haven't even touched on the grammar atrocities I regularly see. Would you feel comfortable with one of these people working on your gas meter or fixing the brakes (or should I say breaks) on your car?

I know, I know, big deal over nothing. But how do we compete in a global economy when such basic skills are missing? I read somewhere that the fall of Rome began when citizens couldn't read the inscriptions on their monuments (or the name of their bicycle). Are we doomed?

Sorry, rant over.