Old 09-26-15, 04:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
No, but I've always stood behind them, to a point.
If something's wrong, it has to be my fault, or something I would have seen, should have seen.

If it was test-ridden, which I insist on, I ask how it went. I often test-ride right next to the buyer and have them go up and down the gears. We also go to the bottom of a short hill and I ask them to gear down, climb, etc. I also get an idea on fit, and we can make minor adjustments. In my mind, I'm creating a cyclist, on that particular bike.

I had one come back, saying the R Ergo was no good. I knew it was fine, we'd tested it, I'd ridden it. 9-sp Mirage, not the smoothest to begin with. Questioning found that he'd already taken it to a shop, who took it apart and "fixed it," but wanted $58.00 for a hood, because they'd ripped it in disassembling the R Ergo.

A couple more calls supported:

1) the R Ergo hood was likely interfering with the shifting, having somehow gotten dislodged, either by me or him on the test ride and subsequent trip back (on a carrier, with another bike on the rack). It was now working fine with no hood.

2) the shop couldn't tell me what they did to the R Ergo, other than admit they ripped the hood trying to get it off. The shop also admitted that hoods came in pairs, and they were quoting him the price for a pair, but were keeping the L hood.

I called the buyer and asked if the bars had been unwrapped and re-wrapped, and his answer indicated a lot: "No."

I couldn't figure out how the shop fixed an Ergo shifter while it was still on the bar, and only destroyed the hood in the process. I offered the buyer a new hood and to put it on for him. I told him to tell the shop to pound sand; I doubted there was really anything wrong with the shifter other than a possible dislodged hood that interfered with the thumb button. I refused to pay $58 for a hood, or a pair. He accepted the hood and I mailed it to him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he damaged the hood himself, but he truly didn't appear to be anything but a guy who wanted a bike for the price, but also expected a "like new" Marin Portofino with full 9-sp triple Mirage for $450 to look and act like a new bike. In my opinion, it did, but in his mind, that included warranty. I stood behind it, to a point.

I have paid for wheels to be trued by a shop before I knew how, and simply did that to make sure the bike was right and ready.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-27-15 at 09:39 AM.